A lot of knuckleheads can't seem to resist hitting "reply-all" to an e-mail whose addressees run to six or seven pages, and those aren't individual addressees, they're distribution lists!
It's still happening as people seem to be returning from leave and finding their own in-boxes clogged and cluttered with this nonsense. The responses tend to say stuff like "take me off this address list" or "stop hitting reply-all!" (which I find pretty funny in a dopey sort of way) or even one "I'm important, stop wasting my time" from a certain unnamed ambassador.
So each email message is about a megabyte (or more), and those will fill up your in-box mighty-Damn-quick.
Still, at least one of the mass repliers, from SA-27, contributed a haiku:
That's doesn't make up for all the trouble, but at least it got me to crack a smile as I cleaned out my email in-box."STATE workers helpless
Captive to this email worm
Tech guys please save us "





6 comments:
Our article focuses on a different aspect, but thanks for reminding me of the more amusing aspects. The high-level responder and the Haiku were indeed what caught my eye as well. I've linked to you at http://deadmenworking.blogspot.com/2009/01/storm-for-storm-hope-not.html
It is called "delete", use it.
It only takes that one percent that doesn't delete them on sight.... the latest is that there may be a virus attached to it that converts any 'reply' to a 'reply-all,' which would explain a lot.
Actually, the very latest is that a _new_ one of these seems to be circulating and jamming everyone's email box.
This thing is driving me up the wall! I'm sure my staff are just as sick of hearing about it as I am of getting these rediculous e-mails. Do you really think there are that many people who don't understand that they just have to not reply to all? Because I think it's passive agression--an excuse to reach out and talk to half the department.
I was told that there was something embedded in the email that made it reply to all saying "take me off the list" even if you did not reply. Of course, the "I'm important" sender can't claim that is what happened.
Oh no! I hope it didn't send an auto-response from me! I've been diligently deleting and chuckling at all of the 'take me off your list' morons, and I'd have to be pretty embarrassed if my machine had also sent out a mass email.
It just won't go away ... !
-rk
Post a Comment