Living the Dream.





Wednesday, June 1, 2011

re: "The Margins of the Upper Limits"

Sass and Sweet ("In Search of a Better Exchange Rate... Observations about life as a Diplomat.") has finished her consular assignment.


Money quote(s):


"I *love* Visa work. I find it fascinating. I enjoy the contact with different people from different walks of life. One of my co-workers self-refers to himself as a "rules based life form". I get that. I like doing a job where I can "interpret the law"."


That is kind of cool. There's the law. 8 U.S.C. The INA. There's the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM). Plus Department cables providing explanatory guidance.


But "at the end of the day," it's just you, your understanding of the laws and regulations, the visa applicant, and your assessment of how that person's (and you should never forget that applicant's personhood and individual dignity) unique situation and purpose of travel. So it comes down to exercising your powers of judgment.


Sass goes on to provide some humorous indicators.


"You know you're on your home stretch when....


1.) Every time you ask someone why they are travelling to the US and to explain their plans - and they answer: "to travel" - you begin to imagine having a red button next to your desk which, when pushed, opens up a shoot below the applicant leading to a shark pond.


2.) Every time you ask someone about their previous refusal they answer: "not enough document" - you begin to imagine a red button next to your desk which, when pushed, opens up a shoot below the applicant leading to a shark pond.


3.) Every time you ask someone to describe the work they do they answer: "business" - you begin to imagine... well, you get the idea.


4.) Every time the "interpreter" refuses to interpret because they think the question is dumb - you begin to imagine ......


5.) Every time someone says "that [crime] shouldn't count, I'm only going to Vegas..."


6.) Every time someone says ...


Ok, I'll stop now - I think I've reached the burn out point and it's time for a break. Plus, I'm committed to following and obeying the law - I suppose "dropping people into shark pits" is probably outside the bounds of the law.


I will absolutely miss Visas. Probably. Maybe. Someday. (Oh, I will - they are in my blood....) - but not for a while."


We used to say that it's a good thing the bullet-resistant windows work both ways.


2 comments:

Coco Recommends said...

Thanks for the shout out.. Next up - ACS Chief.. Looking forward to it!

Consul-At-Arms said...

@Sass: Best of luck. I got more death threats from Americans than from foreigners.