The Hegemonist ("a personal weblog touching on international relations, foreign policy, and diplomacy") notes a recent State telegram dealing with "social media."
One thing that caught my eye when reading the cable he discusses has to do with any blog posting that contains information "of official concern" having to be cleared.
The exception is that this doesn't appear to apply when the the post is being referenced "from existing publicly available information."
Or am I reading this wrong?
_____
Digger at Life After Jerusalem ("The adventures and musings of an American Indian, Public Diplomacy-coned Foreign Service Officer") also discusses this at greater length.
Money quote(s):
"I don't talk about foreign policy issues. I knew when I signed onto the Foreign Service that my job was to defend our foreign policy whether I agreed with it or not. That is the price I pay to serve, the price I pay for the paycheck, and I can deal with that. But we were told from the beginning that domestic policy was fair game. So I figured blogging about life in the Foreign Service, and specifically about life for LGBT folks in the foreign service, is permissible. I don't kid myself...the definition in the post above places what I blog on firmly within the realm of "official concern." But of the hundred or so FS blogs I follow, I don't know a single one that gets clearance for their posts. And I know that if all of us did, there would be no way to post anything in a timely manner.
Plus, I know the Foreign Service is of a mixed mind on blogs. I agree with DS that you have to be cautious not to create security risks (which is why I sanitized what I did). But like the folks in Public Affairs, I consider a blog to be a great recruiting tool. And I think it is important to get the word out. I love serving my country. I want others to join me. But I want them to do it with open eyes." (Bolding added for emphasis. - CAA)
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment